Forum home Tools and techniques

Attaching greenhouse shading

ekmoore1062ekmoore1062 Posts: 5
edited June 2019 in Tools and techniques
Hi there. I have bought some greenhouse shading, and am not sure how best to attach it to outside of greenhouse. (I do want it outside as easier to take up and down without damaging the plants). I am thinking clothes pegs as a temporary measure to attach to the "rails" on the frame on the outside... However I am certain that that won't last very long! :D 
Can you buy clips/pegs specifically for attaching things to the  outside of the greenhouse? 
If not... What do you use?

• HazybHazyb Posts: 288
    Not sure if there is anything specific for attaching shading to outside.  They are usually in some kind blind form for the outside.  

You could try bulldog clips. 
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    I've been boggling over this as I've just got my first 'proper' greenhouse.
    Most folk seem to simply drape it over and weight it down at the bottom in the many discussions I've read.

Or if you're a perfectionist like Sheps 😉, you custom build fancy ones like this...
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1028038/greenhouse-shading

• @Kitty 2 ooh, I do like the custom frames! Maybe as a long term plan though! 
    @hazyb bulldog clips... Good idea! I'm going to try that as an upgrade on the clothes pegs.

Blinds would be nice, but I'm under the impression that you need to know the make of greenhouse to get correct fittings....
     I've tried but  been unable to track down what this greenhouse is (inherited from previous tenants)and  come to the conclusion that whatever it is has not been manufactured for a long time! So any custom fitted anything would have to be a DIY job....
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 218
    I have a wooden greenhouse which makes things a bit easier for DIY shading. I attached a screw hook at both ends on the apex of the roof. I then put a tape loop through the shading. Every day if it is too hot, I drape this shading across the greenhouse by attaching the loops to the hook.  Oh - and it is attached with clothes pegs to the gutter. It works!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,374
    I'm using spring clamps at the moment. Mine are plastic and starting to get brittle from the sun so I'll be getting some metal ones to replace them. I'm still working on a plan to get some frames made up but I can't find any acceptable solutions at the moment.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,025
    I used a curtain spring (used for net curtains)  It works a treat and I can open and close the shade netting whenever I want.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,998
    been watching this thread with interest, I cant get to the far side of one of my greenhouses, the only shading I could buy a couple of years ago, is that thick bright green stuff, not very wide, with holes in the top presumably for threading something through,so would be easier to try and attach to the outside, I used to have the soft dark green netting much easier to work with, but have desided to put all my plants in the one greenhouse, near the veg plot, (and 2 water butts) So the frame isnt an option, it wouldnt stay put where we live anyway, unless it was somehow attached to the greenhouse, because of our proximity to the South Downs and sea, it is very windy.my garden faces NE, the south facing side has light green fleece roof to floor, I dont remove it, it serves as warmth in winter, shadin in summer, but mid afternoon, the sun has gone round and is coming in the end roof, and side.