Forum home Plants

Damson - can I cordon?

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
edited June 2019 in Plants
I would love to get a Merryweather damson in autumn, for my new garden, but I don't know whether they respond well to being trained as cordons, or not.
I'm planning to cordon a couple of apple trees too, along the same South facing fence, by the way.
The damson would be a type grafted onto a dwarf root stock, like Pixie.

I thought that cordoning it would take up less space in my not huge garden and also make it easier to net, once the fruits are ripening.

Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,483
    Pomona Fruits, who I believe are a reputable firm, sell Merryweather as a cordon, so I think we can presume it works just fine,
    although I've not done it myself. 

https://www.pomonafruits.co.uk/fruit-nut-trees/cordon-columnar-fruit-trees/cordon-plum-gage-damson-trees/cordon-damson-merryweather
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
    Thanks Dove. That's brilliant news. I couldn't find anything when I searched for cordoned damsons. 
    There's another 'like' for you 😁
    😆 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I do wonder if buying trees that are already cordoned is better than cordoning one yourself...
    It’ll be at least year or so ahead so you’ll get fruit earlier. 

Good point and a definite advantage 😊