Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bugs at Chatsworth

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,173
At the Chatsworth Flower Show on Wednesday I saw swarms of giant gnat-like creatures flying below the trees in the car park. Ugly looking spuds. Anyone know what they are?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,224
    Horse flies? ugg.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,173
    Thanks, Fire but no. More googling leads me to think they were mayflies. Zillions of them.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,224
    Was there water nearby?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,717
    St Mark's flies might still be gathering at this time of year.
    Not those either, WE. These were more like mosquitoes on steroids. The trees were close to the R. Derwent so mayflies seem likely.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656
    edited June 2019
    Mayflies.
    They come in different sizes.
    We have a lot of them in our garden just now and they are a welcome snack for the fish.
    I like them. They are a sign that it’s summer, even if the weather tries to tell us otherwise.😊

More information about mayflies:

https://www.first-nature.com/insects/index-e.php

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,516
    What time of day was it? If it was into evening they may have been July bugs (cock chafers). I was at a concert once when a swarm arrived and had the audience screaming & flapping around. The band stopped playing and ran for cover. I think a lot of people thought they were bees....
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656
    Yes, we have the chafer beetles here too, TB, but you hear them coming!

I still think it’s mayflies. Perhaps Picidae was lucky to see a lot of them. From The Guardian:

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    We saw them as we were leaving, about 4.00 pm. There were clouds of them below the trees in the disabled parking area. A couple got into the car with us and surfaced again about 20 minutes later so we ushered them out of the open window. They’ll have a long journey home! Without question they were mayflies, exactly as shown in the photo above but darker in colour.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 738
    I went to Chatsworth last year and there were lots of Mayflies that time too.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.