Forum home Problem solving

Rose Leaf Problem

FredTheFifthFredTheFifth South WalesPosts: 27
Hi All, bought a Rose, pot and the compost from the same garden centre a couple of weeks ago. The leaves are going brown as per the pictures below. Any idea what it is please and should I treat it or take it back?
Thanks for any help.

• FredTheFifthFredTheFifth South WalesPosts: 27
    Sorry, selected three pictures but only one uploaded. Here's another hopefully.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    edited June 2019
    Have you sprayed it with something yourself? or do you know if it was sprayed at the garden centre?  I'm talking about black spot prevention sprays, that sort of thing?..

thanks.. @FredTheFifth
    I sprayed it with Roseclear about a week ago when I spotted some green fly.
    But no idea at the garden centre.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    @FredTheFifth

aah…  thought so... Fred, you wouldn't be aware of this, but as the rose you have bought is a rugosa type.. they should on no account be sprayed with anything.. nada... nowt whatsoever... if you spray a rugosa rose it will discolour the foliage, it causes an adverse reaction...  they are 100 percent healthy roses.. and quite capable of growing through any greenfly infestations without help from us...

If you continue to spray a rugosa rose, you will have further problems...

Just leave it be, it will recover on its own... you can remove the affected leaves if you want, just snip them off...
    best wishes ….  
    That is really helpful, many thanks.
    You're right, I didnt know that.
    Thanks.
    F
  • Sue LineSue Line Posts: 2
    Hi,   I have noticed orange/black bug's on my roses, never seen them before.
    I did spray, with white vinegar and a drop of wash-up liquid in spray bottle of water.
    That helped not seen any today.
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    Sue Line said:
    Hi,   I have noticed orange/black bug's on my roses, never seen them before.
    I did spray, with white vinegar and a drop of wash-up liquid in spray bottle of water.
    That helped not seen any today.
    Hopefully not ladybird larvae, which are orange and black and seen on roses eating the aphids?
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    aw poor ladybug larvae :( Mine were sunning themselves in the sun today, tummies all full of pesky aphids