Forum home Problem solving

Are these fairy rings ? We get so much rain at the moment in Scotland and I have loads of mushrions

• LadyDiLadyDi Posts: 22
    Mushrooms ,is it something to worry about ?
    thanks all 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,998
    I'm not seeing any mushrooms. Am I missing something?
    I have every type of mushroom but sadly grass had grown such In the last week I used last weeks photo .
    i am very amature gardener but so kean  to learn I mentioned mushrooms incase rings and mushrooms connected thks 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited June 2019
    Don't worry, mushrooms and similar fungi are beneficial in a garden. They are part of nature's system for breaking down dead plant tissue, so that the nutrients it contains return to the soil where growing plants can take them up.  

The growing part of the fungus is a fine mesh of threads in the soil, called mycelium, and the mushroom type growths that appear on the surface are the reproductive apparatus, the fungus equivalent of flowers.  They will disappear of their own accord in a few days, but if you don't like the look of them, just remove them, but wear gloves or wash your hands carefully afterwards in case they are poisonous.

The rings in the grass appear because, as the mycelium spreads outward, it enriches the soil, causing a lusher, greener circle of grass.  According to folklore, the rings are caused by fairy feet performing circular dances at night, hence the name fairy rings.

And hey! not so much of the "very amateur gardener".  Your garden looks awesomely healthy and well-tended.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,507
    Is that a picture of one of the fairies in the thumbnails underneath?
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    Thank you so much for all your info its incredible .
    I try my best and with the help of experienced people like yourself I am getting there 
    love the fairy 🧚‍♀️ Story