Forum home Problem solving

Larvae

I have just been told my hedges are suffering from Larvae. What is this & how do I get rid of it?

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,218
    Larvae is a term for the young of many insects could you be more specific??
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,439
    Larvae are just caterpillars and that sort of thing, so in order to help you we’ll need to know a bit more ...

what sort of hedge is it?

what is the damage that’s being done?

can we see some photos of the hedge and of the larvae please?

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Tracey BTracey B Posts: 11
    It is like a white mould on a laurel bush & another type of bush that I don't know the name of?
    The leaves are curling inwards from the edge, Also they are drooping.
    The home owners said they are going to spray them, but I need to know that it is not going to drip onto the brand new lawns we have just grown.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Do you have children? If so I would ask them exactly what they are planning to spray and check that it is not a toxic chemical.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,439
    To be honest, for the sake of my own health (as well as any children) I’d be very unhappy about the spraying of some unknown chemicals on a whole hedge! 😨
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    It's most likely to be a caterpillar or similar, and unlikely to do long term damage. Laurel is very tough.
    Can you post some pix Tracey?  It's virtually impossible to give correct and suitable advice without them, and sometimes people get worked up over small amounts of insect damage when it's completely unnecessary. Many things can be resolved quite easily without chemicals, and it means helpful wildlife isn't destroyed along with pests  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....