Forum home Problem solving

Worried this is couch grass, it is growing like mad all over my garden!

Hello Gardeners

I have this growing all over my lawn and in my rockery, choking my plants. So worried it is couch grass. Please can you advise, would be so grateful, many thanks 

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Not couch grass L Plate Gardener! I fight that daily and know it well. Might it be Sheep's Sorrel?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Oh thank you so much Herbaceous, been worried sick! I am finding it hard to pull out as it can break at the roots? How do you deal with yours?! 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Couch Grass or Sheep's Sorrel LP Gardener?  Couch grass doesn't seem to like regularly cultivated ground although it will still have a go so it is just relentless digging it out. I try and go as far down as possible as it spreads laterally, but not so far I break too many bits off.

A decade later it is much better in the cultivated bits of my garden.

Sheep's Sorrel is like dock so yours might be either? Go down as far as you can to get as much root out as possible. Then next year you can probably do it again as the plant in the picture is already seeding itself. Check on other threads as well as other people use glyphosate for perennial weeds.

That sounds gloomy, sorry, very satisfying when you get a good long root though  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett