Forum home Fruit & veg

Club root powder

Talking to a lady on her allotment the other day she said I should use Club root powder on my cabbages is this correct and if so where can you buy it. I have been to, two garden centres, 2 DIY stores that shell plants (Homebase & B&Q) and 1 nursery which is the only one near me. Non of then have it, if you don't use it what do you use instead. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,413
    Back in the day I remember Ma using DDT :o

Nowadays I'm not away of any chemical control that is legal ... I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the best prevention is to grow resistant varieties and to lime the soil if necessary.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Dovefromabove, I am coming to the conclusion that it has been band. You mention lime wont that alter the PH in the soil or is that what is needed to prevent Club root. Would I need to put just a small amount in the planting hole or should I lime the whole area.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,413
    I've not had to lime the soil as we live in a chalky area ... I've never had a problem with club root here.  Hopefully someone will know about liming for brassicas.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Dovefromabove, We have heavy smelly dark clay here but have never used lime. I'll get my books out and also look on the internet but nothing like someone in the know. Thanks again.