Forum home Fruit & veg

Squash seed sowing

I live in Kent, and unfortunately I lost my cucumber and courgette seedlings  to sun damage. My intention was to plant them outside once the first earlies potatoes are harvested later this month. Is it too late for me to start the seed sowing again (in pot)?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    They need as long a growing period as possible ...if I were you I’d pop to the GC and buy a few plants ... I’ve bought some broccoli plants because for one reason and another I just didn’t get my seeds sown in time :flushed:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• seyfadesseyfades Posts: 146
    Thank you, I will do that;
  • TryingtogrowvegTryingtogrowveg Posts: 18
    edited June 2019
    I was late too!!! I've never had success with courgette but started a week ago ( I'm fine with squash and pumpkin!?!) I'm in Kent too and couldn't see any courgettes in GC a week ago n so hedged my bets and started seed... leggy but shown in a week! Hope you find some plants ! I'm not confident mine will do much but here's a picture anyhow ( came from a cheap multipack selection of seeds) just potted up today as so much rain and frustrated!
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    If you cant find plants go for a few seeds they should get a way quickly indoors on a windowsill then once planted out cover with a cloche or fleece will help and a good feed every week, with good weather and the wind behind you, I recon you will get a crop even if it is a week or two later than normal.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,012
    I have only just planted out my courgettes & they are not much more advanced, so I agree. Some of my allotment friends that have early crops find the plants are over by late August, so one planted now will last up to the first frosts.
    AB Still learning

• Please ignore above post ... I think those are yet more squash seedlings and the courgette hasn't sprouted.....
  • I know this is absolutely no good for any of you who would like some squash or courgette plugs - I am selling them on my roadside stall £1 a pot, well established with two sets of leaves and the plants are approx 6 inches tall. By the time you have paid out for the boat trip .......add a £100 or so....
    The annoying part for me is that our road is now closed for 8 weeks for roadworks so virtually no-one is passing our stall - the road workmen have no interest in plants or strawberries (we have those for sale at the moment too).
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Oh GD that's so frustrating, I'd be posting on Curmudgeons!  As my daughter keeps telling me - it's location, location, location.

Strawberry jam would keep for 8 weeks  ;)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454
    I know this is absolutely no good for any of you who would like some squash or courgette plugs - I am selling them on my roadside stall £1 a pot, well established with two sets of leaves and the plants are approx 6 inches tall. By the time you have paid out for the boat trip .......add a £100 or so....
    The annoying part for me is that our road is now closed for 8 weeks for roadworks so virtually no-one is passing our stall - the road workmen have no interest in plants or strawberries (we have those for sale at the moment too).
    Urgh that's horrible! having a roadside stall myself I can imagine how many strawberries you are stuck with!
  • 100's Skandi - thanks for your understanding comments.  It certainly is frustrating.  The lovely neighbour who does buy the fruit from us is going away on holiday this week, so no hope there - the other neighbour is due a visit from me tomorrow.....
    Good luck with all your squash sowing/buying, I hope we get some sunshine to spur on their growth.