Forum home Problem solving

Prunus amanogawa

Last autumn I planted a 7ft Prunus amanogawa which flowered well all down the stem. The leaves however, when they appeared, are only on the top third of the tree. It has put on a lot of growth already at the top and there are small buds along the bare stem but they look as if they are shrivelling up.  I planted using Rootgrow and have lately watered ever few weeks with Growmore. Is it normal to have such a large area on this tree with no leaf?  Thanks for any help you can give.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    no, it's not normal, can you post a photo
  • nonnynonny Posts: 6

edited June 2019
    As you can see from the bottom photo it had leaves all the way up when we bought it but now.... There are buds on the bare part of the stems but they seem to be drying up. It was covered in blossom from top to bottom though.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I've grown these with success but they were in the open. Is the lack of growth at the bottom due to the tree being too shaded by the neighbouring shrubs? They do prefer to grow in full sun. 
    Thank you Joy - The tree is in full sun most of the day (when the sun shines) - does not show in the picture as photo taken in the rain - very overcast.