Forum home Problem solving

Help with Photina Red Robin

My potted Photina Red Robin which is about 5-6 years old is looking like it’s dying. 3/4 of the plant has dry dead looking leaves. I have repotted it and fed it but it hasn’t improved, if it has its very slow. The compost was wet when I repotted it. Do you think it will recover? Should I cut back the branches which have dry dead looking leaves? can my plant be saved? Advice gratefully received. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,672
    Hello @Summergarden :)
    How big is the pot and what type of compost did you use ? Red Robin is a pretty large shrub, it could be that it's struggling  because it's potted rather than in the ground and maybe overfed.  If you could post a photo that would be helpful. 
  • Some photos. The pot size 65cm. I 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    I'm assuming the pot was in the photo was the old pot? If not, the pot is too small for the shrub. If it's planted in a windy area without any back protection, the leaves can easily get wind damage and dry up. At this stage, it is hard to say if they will recover, but I do feel it is best planted in the ground. These shrubs grow big. The dark leaves will eventually drop off. All you can do is water it generously, and make sure drainage is good in the pot, and maybe consider planting in the ground.
  • Thank you for your help.