Forum home Problem solving

What is this growing in my border?

I appear to have an awful lot of this in my border. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    At that size it could be anything. Wait until they grow two true leaves and that will give us a bigger clue. Did you have anything planted in that spot last year that could have self seeded? 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • It is a recently dig out border, so last year it had turf! 

They've been there for weeks but I just keep pulling them out or digging them over. They’re everywhere!! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,422
    The ground beneath our feet is full of seeds from the past ... once they’re exposed to light they begin to grow. Some may be interesting plants that you want and some may be things you don’t want. Only time and experience will tell you which is which.

In the meantime get a Dutch hoe and use it to ‘tickle’ the surface of the soil with it every few days to uproot seedlings where you don’t want them. It’s easier and quicker than getting on your hands and knees and weeding them out by hand. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Our neighbours cut down a large sycamore 5 or 6 years ago im still pulling out seedlings now