Forum home Wildlife gardening

ID please, cocoon/eggs?

JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
Just noticed this strange thing on one of the reeds in the pond. It looks like a section of a feather in texture and shape, slightly iridescent. Its about half an inch long and but only a mm or so in depth. Any ideas?
Couldnt quite focus on it with my phone so Im holding the big leaf behind it, but its above the water so presumably whatever hatches may drop down into the water

• Liz.S.Liz.S. My gardenPosts: 50
    They look like horse fly eggs to me.
    "Life returns. Life prevails. Resistance is futile" Rusty the dalek
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I would agree with Liz. horse fly  the fly lays them above water and as they hatch they drop into the water.

They are most common near streams and wetlands, where the females lay eggs. Females are also common around cattle, horses, deer, and other large mammals, from which they obtain the blood needed in order to make eggs. the larvae are voracious predators of other small animals, including insects, small fish, and more. Others eat detritus. Adults eat nectar and pollen from flowers. Females (but not males) also drink blood.

I personally would destroy them. 🐗

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    Oh that’s a dilemma, I’m always loathe to destroy any insect, but I hate bloody horseflies! 

thanks for the ID
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,504
    edited June 2019
    I hate bloody horsefly bites 😭 ... 💡 if you destroy them then drop them in the water the newts and dragonfly larvae can eat them 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Its not just the bites dove, its the sheer brazen persistence of them when they decide they are going to feast on you, they never take no for an answer! They are now tadpole food...
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I had a really bad reaction to a bite many years ago, my leg swelled up and blistered could not get a shoe on and was on antibiotics for a month and off work for two weeks. Interestingly since that one episode they don't bother me anymore and nor do midges or mosquitoes. 🐗

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    short term pain, long term gain.. We get a fair few here, the bites are always nasty things that last for ages, at least none of us seem to have reactions to them though
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,504
    Jellyfire said:
    short term pain, long term gain.. We get a fair few here, the bites are always nasty things that last for ages, at least none of us seem to have reactions to them though
    Lucky you ... I had one behind my knee that had to be lanced!!! 😭 That was when we lived down your way 😝 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thanks for that Dove, something to look forward to  :D:D
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,224
    I had one at Sissinghurst last year that came up like a bustard's egg. And that, in spite of me being covered in bug spray. They are my biggest fans; can't stay away.

@Jellyfire I have messaged you.