Forum home Problem solving

barrel pond

bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
Hello everyone, I recently made a barrel pond, and it's looking quite good. The only problem is, it has lots of little wriggly larvae, which I've been told are mosquito (gross). The garden centre told me to put fish in, but it (the 'pond') seems to small for that. Has anyone else had this problem? And any tips for sorting it out? 
Thank you!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,246
    A barrel pond is unsuitable for fish because (a) it is too small (b) it has been used for some other purpose in the past and the wood will be impregnated with unpleasant products not conducive to happy fish life.

If you have water, you have mosquitoes. It’s a fact. They aren’t gross, they are just trying to make their way in life the same as the rest of us. They live in water, we live on land.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to buy some oxygenating plants, put them into the water and wait for nature to come along and help you out. Hoverfly larvae and water boatmen and diving beetles will soon move in and the mosquito numbers will be greatly reduced.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 907
    Otherwise Could you put in a solar power floating fountain? They come in quite a few sizes and generally mosquitoes will only lay in still water so keeping it moving will help.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
    Thank you both, I had already decided against fish- too small a space and I thought the water might warm up too much in the summer.  I have put some plants in, so hopefully I will get some predators soon. And I'll take a look at some fountains :)
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I can attest that moving water does absolutely nothing to deter mozis or larva. I have a micro-pond and put in a pump and fountain and the mozis love it. I use mozi dunks and they work brilliantly. With a small pond you only need a pinch every few months from about May to September. Keep an eye on the return of the tiny wriggly residents. 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 907
    Yikes fire your mozzies must be determined!
    oh thanks @fire, do you know if that stuff is safe for other creatures if they drink from the water? We have a cat :)
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    The companies say it's fine for all other wildlife and pets as it contains a bacillus targeted to mozi larva (bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis). For me, it works within a day or so. It functions in the manner of nematodes that are parasitic on one type of animal only. Or yellow rattle that is parasitic on grass.

thank you very much I'm really grateful!
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    I don't mind the mosquitoes, if they don't find some puddle here, they will find one elsewhere. I was thinking poisoning them but then the birds would drink it so I would advise against that.

Personally I would get myself a bit of plexi glass and have it cut to the right size to cover your barrel. It might get a bit of condensation on the inside but if you raise it just a bit to provide airflow you should be good and it will stop mosquitos getting to the water.
    thank you for the tips everyone