Forum home Fruit & veg

Uchiki Kuri - Red squash

Hi
I want to try and grow some red kuri squash - but space is limited so I understand I can grow this vertically. I can't find info anywhere though on how far it trails or how high the trellis needs to be so I can go and buy one. The other thing is can anyone advise how many plants would be a guide per person? I can give away excess but I want to avoid too much extra work or space taken up. 

Any advice gratefully received, thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    If the plant is happy, well fed and well watered it can spread a long way.  However, I have always stopped mine at about 3 or 4 fruits so they concentrate on ripening those.  I had a metal mesh grid fence in my last garden and trained them up there.   

It was just the grid they sell at builders' merchants for reinforcing concrete - cheap, sturdy, will outlive you if attached to sturdy posts.  You can cut the 5mm sheets to size with bolt cutters.

You could also train them up obelisks.  The main thing is to get the fruits up into the sun so they ripen and grow without taking up too much space at the base.   Makes it easier to water the roots when they need it too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KitMillerKitMiller Posts: 35
    What height obelisk do you think I'd need, or grid please?  If I stopped them at 3 or 4 fruits what height would they get to? I've never grown veg before.
    Thanks
    The grid I used came in 2 x 5 metre lengths and we made a 20m fence between us and the arable field behind.   Great for training blackberries too.

In this garden, our veg plot has just a 1.25m mesh fence and we trained pumpkins like kuri and butternut up and along that, stopping them at just 2 or 3 fruits as there's less rain here.    You could easily train one round, rather than straight up, on a 5 or 6' obelisk.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks. I have a wall about 4 foot  high. Would they trail down from it if they were growing on from a pot up on the ledge? - its a sunny position.  I'm just thinking about maximising my space. 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    edited June 2019
    They wouldn’t like being in a pot. Squash roots need to run.  If the wall is south facing then 4ft should be enough to train them up.   I got 7 fruit off a Uchiki Kuri last year, but I won’t be growing them again as I didn’t like the nutty but less sweet taste - but I guess you’ve chosen this variety because you like them.    (Overall we had 49 squash and are eating the last one now - some varieties keep very well!)

Agree - put the utchi kuri in the ground and train it up the wall or an obelisk and put something less demanding of water such as Mediterranean herbs in the pots or maybe  nasturtiums to attract and distract the aphids.
    Lovely, thanks to you both, I'll try up the wall and on an obelisk. I am a VERY RAW veg starter so to speak. I picked Red Kiri as its meant to be easier and it can be vertical as I am a bit space short. I'm sure with either curry spice or brown sauce it will be fine if the taste isnt quite right!   I thought it might be a good one to try to start with.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    It’s reliable...and who knows you may completely love the taste!  A lot of people do. 

Beware tho’, I started growing pumpkins two years ago.  Like you I reckoned they are good starter veg.  And now I’m obsessed...

Me too.  Last year I got carried away and swoed far too many seeds and we had pumpkin overload.   This year I have sown none and just bought one kuri, one butternut, one Turk's Turban and 2 different yellow courgette plants.

The little kuri squashes are just the right size for us two and can be made into soup, roasted as wedges or roasted in chunks with other veg and/or pulses with either herbs, curry spices or tagine spices.   Very versatile.
    Pumpkins look amazing Helix. I planted 5 seeds - if they all come on I will have to pass some plants on if I run out of room.  This growing veg mullarkey is turning out to be addictive. I have to be a bit strict with myself and I do try and rein myself in. I keep to saying to the cat; 'I know I said I wouldn't buy any more seeds but......'