Advice on Greenhouse

My son and I have finally managed to lay the foundation to put the new shed on before the old one comes down. In place of the old shed I intend to have an 6 ft x 8 ft
greenhouse. I have mentioned it on here before and was advised on which glass to get. I can't remember which one of you helpful people advised to get in the way of glass, was it Horticultural glass or Toughened glass. I will be ordering it next week which will give me time to sort the shed out and hopefully by the end of June I'll have my new greenhouse. Below is a link to the one I'll be ordering your opinion would be a great help on this as well. Many thanks.

https://cdn.greenhousepeople.co.uk/images/products/original/popular3_1.jpg

Hope the link works.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
    edited 1 June
    Toughened glass is a bit more expensive, but much tougher and MUCH safer than horticultural glass.
    Toughened glass is like a car windscreen, if it breaks it crazes and there are no big sharp bits. If Horticultural glass breaks it breaks into deadly shards

Lovely looking greenhouse and hope it gives you many years of pleasure
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,592
    Horticultural glass is thinner and will break into pieces.  Toughened glass tends to "craze" and is usually recommended for glazing below a certain height - ie if someone was to run into it, fall against it, etc., the glass will not shatter and injury is less likely.

I think most GH manufacturers use toughened glass but always wise to check.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Pete.8 and philippa smith2, thanks both I though it might be toughened glass but wanted to check before ordering. Yes toughened glass is more expensive but worth it from a health and safety aspect. All greenhouse seem to come with horticultural glass but with the option to change to toughened glass for an extra cost. I have also ordered an automatic vent which I thought would be useful and a good idea along with a down pipe as the greenhouse comes with gutters and will buy yet another water butt, I already have 7 butt another roof equals another water butt. Thanks again bother.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,946
    Toughened glass is more expensive but worth it if you have children, aged parents or vandalistic little blighters that throw stones at it from the church grounds!!!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    @NannaBoo if you weren’t able to track down your earlier thread about this here it is
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1025550/which-should-i-buy/p1
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ho dear hogweed do you have little blighters throwing stones. We have an old blighter who likes to try and spoil things for us. Old or young not nice.
    Thanks for that Dovefromabove, not thinking straight at the moment been so, so busy in the garden as I expect most of us are. Enjoyed a lovely salad all grown in the garden last night well most of it was home grown.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541
    Isn’t it lovely eating homegrown stuff @NannaBoo 😊. we’re feasting on broad beans, the potatoes are nearly ready, the peas are flowering, the goosegogs and blueberries are covered with fruit ... lovely stuff 🍽 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @NannaBoo

Just to help maybe! 
    If you start a discussion you can always refer back to it in the Quick Links area this is situated towards the top of the page right hand side the green area it has four options All categories, Recent discussions, My bookmarks and My discussions. the last section lists all the discussions you personally started so you can look back and find them and  click on any one you wish to open.

I hope this helps and I'm not teaching you to suck eggs :)

Or of course you can always ask Dove she is a marvel at always finding this sort of stuff  :)

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Dovefromabove, I bought three Blueberries this year and although they are growing well about 18 inches high there's not one flower on them. I have just netter my strawberries and Raspberries so the birds don't feast first. I keep thinking of all those air miles I'm saving, plus the food has a much better taste. Me thinks I'll need a bigger freezer.