Forum home Problem solving

Infestation

Hi everyone. Please could you take a look at the pictures and help me identify what the problem is and how to get rid of it. Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    Aphids ... wash them off with a jet of water from the hose ... check every few days and repeat as necessary. :)

Encourage bluetits to feed in your garden by hanging feeders near your shrubs ... I've been doing it for a few years now and they get all my aphids before they get too many. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited June 2019
    Looks like blackfly. Lots of people here are reporting high number this year. Wipe off with fingers, try a high hose jet, or washing up liquid or native ladybirds. I tend to cut off the most encrusted bits. In my garden they do not attract lots of extra birds or anything else except more aphids.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,141
    I’m finding a squirt of washing up liquid diluted is keeping everything aphid free at the moment,  I don’t mind them in my wild areas for the birds, but not in my beds or on my tomatoes. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 907
    Plant sacrificial narstitiums.... pretty flowers that the aphids love. With me they live happily on those and nothing else, and if I’m lucky the ladybirds eventually arrive and their young enjoy a feast.