Forum home Problem solving

Geranium - finished flowering...what next?

Cut right back to ground level? Or half way?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,490
    Hi Tim. Cut back to ground level and you'll get another flush of flowers.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    Some get a second flush but some only flower once, you’ll get nice fresh leaves though.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 480
    Thanks Ladybird4.  B)
  • BenDoverBenDover Posts: 480
    Thanks Lyn.  Last year I just let them be and in the end they looked a right mess, and didn't get any second flush of flowers so will be interesting to see what happens this year after a good hard trim.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,490
    You are most welcome.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,172
    I have a similar one ... the flowers are just going over ... in the past I've always left it and the leaves turn a wonderful red in late summer/autumn.  Loathe to cut it back in case that doesn't happen ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I cut, feed and water well.  Some flower again but some don't but at least the fresh foliage looks good and helps build a strong root system for next year's flowers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    FB&B or tomato feed @Obelixx ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Usually pelleted manure as it's easier to get here than BF&B.

No idea why as I can easily get liquid concentrations of comfrey, nettle, fern, horsetail and al sorts for doing different things.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Great ... got a tub of that in the garage .... thanks @Obelixx