Forum home Problem solving

Bees!

JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,959
These chaps have turned up in my garden today.  They're not a problem (although I could do with giving the hedge its first cut of the year soon) but does anyone know how long they might stay before moving on? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,356
    edited May 2019
    They’ll be gone soon.

Just having a bit of a sit down while scouts go off to look for their forever home.😊

If in the unlikely event that they do decide to stay, just phone your local beekeepers’ group and they will scoop them up and take them away to a new hive.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    The old poem comes to mind

A swarm of bees in May is worth a field of hay.
    A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon.
    A swarm of bees in July isn’t worth a fly.

Based of course on the thought that finding the swarm in May would give you a whole summer’s worth of honey.  Whereas finding it in July would hardly be worth the bother of taking them because you would have to feed them sugar to keep them alive over the winter and would therefore be out of pocket.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,959
    Thanks Pansyface.  If any beekeepers in the Doncaster area are reading in here and want a swarm that's worth a field of hay, get in touch  :).
    I already got a beekeeper's number from the British Bee Keepers Association website so I'll give it a couple of days and see if they move on.  I like bees in the garden and usually have quite a lot (not just honeybees) but I don't want them to set up home in my loft or shed, and we don't have any hollow trees or suchlike that they could move into.

They've gone.  Feeling slightly bereft, daft as it sounds, as well as relieved that no-one got stung (they were right by the gate and were getting agitated every time someone walked past).
    edited June 2019
    Yes, you do feel a bit bereft.

I had a happy little bunch of furry faces in my garden last year. They only stayed for an hour or two, but it was lovely to see them free and doing what comes naturally rather than being set to work for humans.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,074
    How exciting, I've never seen a swarm in this country.

If anyone does ever have honeybees move in, please take much of what you read on the internet (apart from this, which is true) with a pinch of salt. I've had honeybees living in my chimney for several years and I'm always glad to see them emerge again in spring. They haven't demolished my house or attacked anyone and I don't have honey seeping through the walls. I had work done on my roof a couple of summers ago and the builder said they didn't bother him, just went to and from the chimney.

They are ever-present in the garden, but I do have suitable flowers. They also seem to need a lot of water and are always in the pond shallows and bird bath.

I do feel privileged to have had them visit. I se e plenty on bees in the garden (different kind, not just honeybees), and they're very welcome there, but I wouldn't want them moving into the house because we both react badly to stings.
  • Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 70
    Hi, I love having the bees in my garden too! I’ve seen 3 swarms travelling cross country already this year, my neighbour thinks there are a lot about this year. This is my first spring/summer after retiring last autumn so maybe I just happen to have more chance to see them this year.