How important is a website like this to the elderly?

AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
I am elderly and extremely active but I've been amazed at the kindness shown to me and my family from total strangers here. We read a lot about how the young generation are affected (badly) by the internet but how important are sites like  this for oldies? (self included)? 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,641
    Ooh Achtung - hadn't you noticed that most people on this forum are no older than 27  :D
    This site is useful for any gardener whatever their age but yes, I'd say it could well be important for older people - those who cannot physically manage to garden as such find the breadth of discussion on here cheers them up no end.  Just because you can no longer manage to dig or haul bags of manure about doesn't mean that you have lost your passion.
    Total strangers are often kinder than your nearest and dearest  ;)  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,746
    Too true Philippa 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,349
    I think that any group of people who have a common interest will mostly get on well together. There will always be one or two exceptions (the person who must be Chair of the local golf club, the one who always arranges the church flowers on Wednesday etc) who sometimes create waves, but generally a problem shared (ground elder, late frosts) is a problem halved.

I know nothing about the things that young people spend their time doing online, but much of what I hear secondhand seems to revolve around the concept of “me, me, me” and strikes me as rather introverted. (Yesterday, I was introduced to the concept of Creators and Influencers and during the explanation I felt a little part inside of me die right then and there.)

Gardening problems being aired on this forum, however, don’t develop into personality cults with leaders and followers. They are approached more from the angle of “we, we, we” and therefore feel more friendly.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 480
    @pansyface I hope I'm not the only person that chuckled at "we, we, we"  :D
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    I used to think my grandma was elderly at 57 when my grandparents moved in with us. My sister was skydiving out of a plane at that age, and I was diving with sharks.  Define "elderly". I tend to think of over 85's as being elderly.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    Elderly keeps moving into the future :) 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    edited 31 May
    Pansyface, I met an "influencer" in the Galapagos in February. What I noticed most was that leather trousers with cut out bits were probably a lot hotter than the casual , comfortable, gear I was wearing. :D
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,349
    It’s what the little piggy did who didn’t go to market, Mr.VE.

Some days I feel like I’m 90, fidget.☹️
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,750
    Depends on what you mean by 'elderly'. I am over 70 but do not consider myself 'old'. We're the new 'middle aged' !!!!
    I'm probably addicted to this forum, spending at least 2 hours a day reading through the posts I consider interesting and occasionally contributing. I love gardening (obsessed!) and have learnt so much from the kind people on here - it very much feels like a club. My mother once commented that she couldn't believe how old she was, inside she still felt about 18.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,691
    Lizzie27 said:
    Depends on what you mean by 'elderly' ..... My mother once commented that she couldn't believe how old she was, inside she still felt about 18.  
    Hence the decision taken on this forum years ago that most of us ‘are really 27’ ... old enough to have all the benefits of being adults without being old enough to have to be too sensible 😉  🙃
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh