Forum home The potting shed

Biting off more than you can chew

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,233
    Looks wonderful Housefinch - can’t believe that is all one years work - you’ve achieved so much 🤩
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 345
    Yes, it's amazing 😊 and with 2 (?) little finchlings at home too -when mine were tiny it was chaos indoors never mind the garden!
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,539
    Really enjoyed reading this thread. How hard have you worked! All looks wonderful
    💚💚💚💚💚💚
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 325
    Thank you all! Just imagine what we can accomplish with a greenhouse ;) Very excited.
    The back border has had a lot of change to it this year. The giant miscanthus did not grow as much as we expected it to, but we are holding out hope that it will reach it's full potential next year. Hopefully it will camouflage the recently installed fencing. The miscanthus 'little kitten' staggered along in front of the giants, though cute, did not fill the shoes of the sinesis that the nursery substituted it for when the sinesis proved dead-on-arrival this spring. We may end up relocating the little kitten in future, as it was meant to provide gradient height leading up to the giants, and 3 feet just doesn't cut it.
    I have divided up the five massive clumps of irises, and moved the pieces I kept closer to the miscanthus. I plan to fill in the middle with Rudbeckia, Echinacea, poppies, alliums, etc. The planting is bound to evolve over time.
    The front edge will have more of the Blue fescue as more of a natural border between lawn and flower bed.
     Watching Garden Rescue helped me identify the mystery plant I got for free this year (located along the center of the border) as Bergenia.
    We have yet to mow under the Katsura. The tree is showing signs of stress. There is black spotting on some of the upper leaves-something I need to look into.
    The herb garden has done extremely well this year. The salvia amistad-planted on the left-has been successfully propagated. Two of the cuttings seem to have rooted, so they can replace the existing if it does not survive winter, or be added to the corner in spring if it does.Blueberries have been weeded, acidified, and mulched with peat moss. Some are already turning red for fall. It is so sad to see the summer gone.
    Next step is taking down the fountain, ornaments, and solar lights. All tender plants have been housebound again. Forecast says 3 Celsius lows for us this weekend. It has been feeling that temperature every morning with the cold and damp.
    Time to start burning some of the extra wood in the chimnea. Will be nice to be able to mix it in with the compost for the veg garden.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,932
    What a fantastic job you've done @HouseFinch :)
    Thank you @AnniD
    A lot of progress in the past two months. We have had one snowfall that fell to rain midway, and the forecast for BC is for a mild winter. Looks like a lot of work will get done before spring planting this year.
    The north side of our backyard is getting converted into more garden. The area closest to the house will be flowers and further back will be vegetable. When mapping out the path, I followed the existing wear on the lawn. It has provided a most pleasing design. It feels good to go with the flow of things.
    We didn't get a huge crop from our blueberries this year, but seeing as they just went in this spring we are still hopeful they will take off next year. Their leaves changed early, and have long since fallen. It was a very sudden shift into fall for us. Our Katsura tree changed color and lost all of it's leaves within 72 hours after our first hard frost.

We have extended the garden by an additional 4 feet towards the back of the yard-all the way across. I have succeeded in germinating some apple seeds and hope to start an orchard at the back of the pergola.
    The existing vegetable path has been scraped down to the clay, and lined with rock. I laid down the landscaping fabric more to keep the house tidy than the garden. A lot of muddy dog prints were being mopped up on a daily basis.
    Though I wasn't keen on sedum last year, I am now a convert. Their color shines in the fall when everything else is dying back. The sweet William also is providing consistent greenery.
    Our lawn has gone to the dog, I'm afraid. I did level and reseed it. Time will tell how that fares.
    I've purchased fall lawn fertilizer, but have yet to find the time to spread it out. I was concerned on how safe it is for the dog. I'm thinking if I spread it out right before snow is expected it will be more likely to stay put. Also musing over whether it would work well on the Miscanthus.
    Well, no greenhouse this year, but I am constructing as much as I can from our scraps and thick plastic table covers. I really should have given it a peak though. A modification in the near future perhaps. Inside is carrot, and onion-just sowed yesterday.