Forum home The potting shed

Biting off more than you can chew

• Red mapleRed maple Posts: 179
    It's all looking really good, HouseFinch. Well done.
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 323
    Sure we said, we will leave the pergola until fall; we said, let's just sit back and enjoy the yard....Yeah, right.
    So close. Only chipping away at it in the morning, as it gets too hot in the afternoon when the kids nap.
    Loving my bee balm, Christmas firn and echinacea. Grabbed a light purple-blue scabiosa from the back border and tucked it in behind the bee balm. When it blooms it will match the other one on the opposite side of the paving.
    Every time I find a violet when renovating, I move it to the front of my flower beds to fill out more greenery. Hopefully I have all the seasons covered and will get plenty blooming all year long.

Every day I am out hunting for seed heads to harvest to fill in my empty spaces.
    This was yesterdays seed collection.

Thunderstorm all night. Birds are happy today though. Suspect there are a lot of babies learning to fly today.
    Crocosmia Prince of Orange and late Lucifer transplants flowering today.
    Brickwork almost finished.
    Brickwork complete.

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 202
    Gorgeous! 
    Update:
    Cosmos planted with the beets, and shading the carrot/radish row.
    Backyard sunflower row. Temporary fencing is to help the dog learn the boundaries.

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 314
    Beautiful gardens @HouseFinch , keep posting the pictures, I love seeing other people's gardens! 🙂
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,042
    Just beautiful 😍. Love seeing what you have achieved 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Also glad to find there is a word for my impromptu weeding/clipping/staking sessions.  Trouble is, my pootling always seems to occur when I have my best clothes on and am heading out somewhere where mucky fingernails are frowned upon 😳🤪
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
    chicky As requested-will also put some more into the Front garden redesign post.Veg garden pathway. Front is the herb garden with flowers planted in around them.
    Set out the bird feeder to keep them from eating my last three ears of sweetcorn-going to seed.
    We were going to put in a greenhouse on either side, but OH decided he was really enjoying the way I've set it up. Instead he is going to build one at the end on the yard where the two mountain ash currently reside.
    We find the birds don't really appreciate the berries, and the trees don't quite block the view as much as we like back there, plus a greenhouse would get optimal light at that end of the yard.

Green peppers are surrounded by marigolds. As soon as they start turning red, something starts eating them. If I want red peppers, I have to ripen them on the kitchen counter.

The view from the back of the veg garden. I had my onion rows at the front and back of the strawberries and it worked well to keep the pests away. Only got one or two stray ants/slugs. Minimal damage. The container top center is some of the strawberry runners growing in a manure/garden soil mix.

The view from what we call the zen garden. Chicken wire tacked in with bamboo sticks to support my fall/winter peas.

Potted up my white and pink kalanchoe (will bring indoors for winter) and my Persian Shield Plant. The shield plant spent the summer in the zen garden and flourished. I chopped it back quite a bit. The other smaller containers are seedum started from cuttings, centre one is dragons blood.

The fountain on the deck can be heard from the entrance to the vegetable garden. Doesn't quite drown out the neighborhood sounds. Still a nice ambiance though.

My Aquilegia has rebloomed, along with my snapdragons. The Rudbeckia is all from seed directly sown in the spring. I transplanted some purple bachelor buttons from the balcony planters into this bed when the temperature got too hot for them.

This is a completely new flower bed this year cut out of the landscaping cloth and bark mulch as I went along. It is tucked in on the north side of our Pergola. The light blue bee balm is done, and a purple scabiosa has not bloomed yet. Globe flower-center right-has been and gone. I suspect the Cosmos will be pale pink.

Another shot of the zen garden. The lowest point in the garden means it stays moist. There are three different colored scabiosa plants, Verbena, Astrantia-star of billions, Snapdragons, Phlox seeding everywhere (going to move them out front as it's too much color and detracts from the rest), and a lot of white Aquilegia.
    At the back is dark and light purple speedwell. Not sure of their varieties but I must divide them this fall and distribute it along that flowerbed evenly.
    Not sure about the color combination of that heuchera, and may need to move it out. Dead center in the picture is the white speedwell.