Biting off more than you can chew

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,427
    Great work there.....you must feel very proud 
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 263
    Everything is growing well...even the weeds ;) Just realized OH is using the mini weeping tree on the bottom right to house the excess garden hose. :D

• B3B3 Posts: 10,225
    I'd make him/her wear it!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    I'd make him/her wear it!
    :D
    Update: We have laid sod under our tree. The landscaping fabric underneath it was severely deteriorated due to weather and crickets, plus the river rock covering the space was not enabling the tree to get the nutrients it needed.
    We trimmed more of the lower branches that filled in since winter pruning, and gave it a few days of good watering. So far, it is shaping up. (Apologies for the Frankenstein photos-haven't figured out panoramic shots)
    It is a great space for the kids to play, and the cats to relax. Miscellaneous vegetable pots are at the bottom of the stairs presently, until I can finish the retaining block edged flower bed and the second pathway to the landing. Four lilac trees are planted along the brown fence to form a privacy screen. I have sunflowers in tall planters behind them now, until they grow in more (it will take years, I expect).
    Flowers are planted around the base of the tree. (sweet William, alyssum, poppies... whatever was left over from spring planting). I will add some sedums once they fill in more.
    It is difficult to capture the true size of the space. It has come a long way from when we moved in last fall. I have followed a lot of tips from Gardener's World and Garden Rescue on separating the space into rooms, providing all the amenities we require of the space.
    I also followed zen garden layout, as OH was intrigued by the original garden's 'zen' design.
    Not having known what was planted, I have selectively weeded from early spring. Learning what was a common weed in neighboring front gardens, what showed up uninvited in my flower pots, and what popped up in the unplanted vegetable garden soil. There were already so many flowers, but I admit I have added more.
    I wanted an orange crocosmia, but I could only get Lucifer this year. Of course I couldn't leave the store without it... I believe there is a thread here for that. Later I found more bulbs struggling in the front yard, and transplanted them to the back. Maybe they will surprise me and come up orange ;)
    I was amazed the Helleniums I purchased with the Lucifer came in almost as red, but they seem to have faded now. The color scheme was to be greens and purples, but on the plus side, the Lucifer will match the rhubarb stalks.
    If there are no orange bulbs this year, I plan to give it a go again next spring, to blend the red in a bit more.

There are also three new Heuchera, a persian shield plant (to be brought inside in the fall), a white speedwell-because who can resist, and some sweet Williams (grown from seed), many lilacs and irises (someone needed removed for free), two new Azaleas (the blueberry hedge needed them of course). I shall stop there....the list does go on...
    Other than moving the brickwork in the center of the zen garden, the brunt of the labor is complete. The sod was the big job. Now for finishing touches...oh yes, and the front yard... :D
    Update: Our favourite spot to sit in our garden. In the fall we plan to fill in the bumps with compost and re-seed the lawn.Everything is coming along well in the garden. Strawberries are sheltered by rows of onions on either side. Volunteer pumpkins from the compost I spread on the garden in spring are taking over and spreading out on the lawn in the back.
    My favourite spot to sit in the morning and drink my coffee before the kids wake up. The brickwork in the center of the zen garden is postponed until fall. We are both content to sit back and enjoy the garden for a while after all the hard work of getting it this far.
    We are working on some 'natural' bindweed treatments, as it has snuck in under the white fence along the blueberry hedge and spread into the lawn. It is not a fan of highly acidic soil as is apparent by it's panic to get through and past the hedge. I am appalled that it can grow 9' under, and after research realized digging up the lawn wasn't going to help one bit. Hopefully we can get it sorted out soon. OH is in charge of developing the formula.
    The latest job accomplished-all the pumpkins in and garden beds dug out. The retaining blocks are functional for this year, but will be leveled and added to next year. (Should be easy to overlook soon, as the pumpkins will start spreading everywhere) It's impressive how fast pumpkins grow.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,608
    Looking good  :) , its often forgot to enjoy the garden after all the hard work been put in, personally I can't sit still for 2 mins before I see something I should of done and then get stuck in. 
    @Perki Indeed! There is always weeding, or a transplant here and there. I literally bounce all over the yard when I go out there. I must look like an erratic bee.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,561
    It's looking really amazing.

'Pootling' - i.e. drifting around the garden doing the little jobs that catch your eye rather than have a 'right, today I'm going to do xyz' plan - is one of the greatest pleasures of a garden that's becoming established. You do end up with mud under your nails, a handful of weeds and deadheads and slightly damp knees, but an hour can go by of perfect peace this way. It's really not working in the garden, it's enjoying it - tending it - close up.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,608
    Pootling for me is to lose the towel - fork - secateurs and anything else I've had hold of, I still haven't found the box of FBBone from last week.