Dead and dying plants at Asda

Has anyone else experienced the pitiful sight of dozens of plants just left to die outside their  supermarket. At my local supermarket this year they have on sale, at half the price you would pay at a garden centre, some great plants in 2 litre pots, Geums, Lupins, Osteospermums, etc. But they are never watered, and are just left to die if they don't sell. So, as you go in you are confronted with the sight of dozens of quite large plants just flopping over and dying through lack of water. I've wrote to Asda about it but unfortunately haven't had a reply.

• AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    There was a discussion about it here Peter. Pretty sad. It makes you wonder how they look after the food. 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/717764/supermarket-plants
  • peter straw2peter straw2 Posts: 67
    Their head office have just replied apologising, giving the usual spiel about customer satisfaction, customer service etc etc, and said they will investigate, as if they didn't already know.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    Achtung said:
    There was a discussion about it here Peter. Pretty sad. It makes you wonder how they look after the food. 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/717764/supermarket-plants
    That one is from 2015 but I think you meant to link a more recent one.
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Yes indeed, I did, but hey it's the end of the week. Link to newer one? 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    Haha yeah, I perhaps should have linked to it but couldn’t be bothered to go find it ;)

I’m sure someone else will come to the rescue.
  • VikkihowellVikkihowell Posts: 5
    It’s awful at my local Morrison’s. Trays and trays of dead plants and still on sale. But if you get there the day they arrive you’ll get great plants. But it is sad they must waste lots of money. 
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 480
    Last time I went to Asda I found the same thing - every plant was flopped over clearly in dire need of watering.

Morrisons on the other hand looks after there's really well - ours has a little garden centre bit outside. Aldi too seem to look after there's.
    Maybe Monty and the the crew can take up the cause and highlight what is clearly a national trend amongst a lot of the superstores.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    Asda is not a garden centre --- full stop.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    That is correct, but that doesn't mean they should be neglecting plants and causing waste, just because they can't be bothered to water them.