Forum home Problem solving

What is this growing?

Does anybody know what this is?  It's been growing in my lawn for the last couple of years.  If I cut the grass, its really quite stiff as you walk on it.

Is there a way I can get rid of it without digging the whole lawn up.

The other thing I would ask is I have an enormous amount of weeds on the lawn, I've tried all sorts of weed killer, which either kills the grass or simply doesn't work.  What do oyou consider the best weed killer or would you say dig up the garden and start again.

I suspect that when I bought the new build house, they just filled the garden with what was in the field before it was developed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sean

• MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435
    Looks like a Willow herb, possibly rosebay.  They are normally easy to pull out.  Don't let it flower or seed.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,532
    I agree ... willowherb ... if it won’t pull out easily water it then gently loosen it bu ‘lifting’ with a hand fork then pulling it out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,861
    I think it's  better to dig out weeds if possible, but if you want to use weedkiller on your lawn, make sure it's one labelled lawn weedkilller.  General weedkillers will kill grass as well.

• Thank you very much guy's, I knew if I posted the question here it would get answered. It looks like I have some work to do.

Thanks guys.