Cucumber Trellis

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
There are many ideas on the web but does anyone have a picture of one they use that works and a basic note of what "stuff " I will need to make it please.

The type of cue is Poona Kheera from The Real Seed Co

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/cucumbers.html

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,754
    Like this?

This is what I used
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T4PQGX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The single plant produced 294 cucumbers last year between June and Sept and the netting held the weight fine.
    I stand the pot on the bottom of the netting then tie it securely to various braces in the greenhouse.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    I have a small part of my plot set aside for the cues about 5 x 3 foot so its outside

I assume that the weight is transferred from the netting to the struts of the greenhouse
    Yes, the struts in my greenhouse have holes for hanging baskets etc, so I tie the trellis to those.
    This is my 3rd year growing cue's. First year I grew it up a bamboo cane and as the fruits swelled and became heavier, the whole lot slid down the cane and crushed the main stem, and it was game over :(

If you're growing outside, maybe some ordinary wooden trellis would work.
    Or, something I considered to grow squash was a metal garden arch

This year's cucumber plant is about 2ft up the trellis so far with 12 little cue's
    Pete

I have some existing wooden stakes weather protected that I will use and add a cross bar and suspend some of the web you suggest

? Any thoughts
    So long as the stakes are fairly stout and you provide support for stability, sounds like a plan!

May your cucumbers grow long and numerous :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,113
    I am using @Pete.8 system to grow cues this year in my greenhouse,  will let you know how I get on Pete . 😁
    I am using @Pete.8 system to grow cues this year in my greenhouse,  will let you know how I get on Pete . 😁
    I feel a patent application coming on :)

We can compare notes as the season progresses - good luck
    I picked my 1st on June 15 last year
    Mine will be late this year as having to replace plants as they didn't survive planting , not sure why but have just bought new ones to replace them. Hope it works better this time.🙄
    Pete

MY local general store has 1/2 inch wide holes

? Do you think the smaller size would be detrimental to the cues feelers getting a grip

Pat Pending 238967................ B)
    It might be a bit small , if you look at Pete's  photo the holes are bigger on clematis netting.