Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Need help with lilac

My well established lilac bush has produced this year loads of flowers over half the bush and the other half is bare!  Last year it was covered all over in blooms. I did prune it last year as soon as the blooms died. Any ideas please?

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,630
    edited May 2019
    I do what you do and trim after flowering. Ours had loads of flowers too , it has been a good year for them.

I can't think why unless you cut it back harder in some parts perhaps?
    I know I did a bit of a harder cut on ours a couple of years ago and think it did not flower as profusely. It grows a bit wonky towards the sun so I re shaped a bit, cutting into older wood.

Is the foliage healthy, just no flowers?
    If not then check the stems and bark too in case it has had some damage or disease.

If the above is not applicable a photo or two close up of stems and leaves might give some eagle eyed member  a clue.
  • pamanealpamaneal Posts: 3
    Thanks so much. The foliage looks healthy. I think you are right in that I cut back too hard on the section that hasn’t flowered. This year I will leave unpruned on that section and just dead head. Fingers crossed. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Lilacs flower on the previous year's growth, and can benefit from hard pruning now and again anyway, so it's unlikely to be a problem. It should flower normally next year - and possibly flower better  :)
    You can prune out old wood, and take out thin straggly stems too, and that will also benefit it. It helps to create a good open structure and increase air flow too. Like many shrubs, these things help them stay productive long term  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • pamanealpamaneal Posts: 3
    Thank you.