A "like" icon on this forum

Does anyone else wish there was a "like" button on this forum? I know Mr Vine does as we were talking about it on the Rose thread. This is what I wrote, I've copied it to save typing it again.

"I would like a "like" button too. Another forum I take part in has it and it's very useful. A smiley won't do unless you post it immediately after the post you like which often isn't possible. I've liked a lot of the rose photos on here but when I left it a couple of days there were too many other posts in between. I don't know if anyone saw my roses on page 85. No one knows unless someone makes a comment."

Now that Nora has gone it seems we are here on our own. Does anyone know how to get in touch with anyone on the technical team?

Dordogne and Norfolk

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,469
    edited 31 May
    Either click on Flag and then Report and type a message, or send a PM to @Daniel Haynes

I know a 'like' button was discussed when the forum was re-vamped.  Personally I hate the idea with a passion.  It encourages competition for the most 'Likes' and I think it would destroy the gentle sense of community we have here. 

If I like or agree with a post but feel that there's no need to add any words I just 'Quote' the post and add a smile or a thumbs up or similar.  It shows the post is appreciated without anyone feeling left out because they haven't got as many 'Likes' as someone else. 

I think we can assume that folk see and enjoy our photos, even if they don't have a 'Like' or a Smiley or anything.  I know I do :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,640

On the other forum it doesn't encourage competition at all. Using quote is a good idea, but I haven't seen anyone but you do that.

Thanks for the info about Daniel, I'd forgotten. I'd forgotten it's spelt with a y, I was thinking Haines.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,469
    Maybe it's a smaller forum with folk that 'know' each other?  This is such a large public forum with potential for all sorts of things ... :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,912
    Too Facebook for me. :)
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
    edited 31 May
    Yes it is, Dove.

I've tried sending a PM to Daniel Haynes using just his name and @Daniel Haynes, but it didn't recognise his name so I couldn't send it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I can't do @ for anyone who has a gap in their name either.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,750
    We were given the option when they were redesigning the site and we voted against it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 343
    It's particularly if a thread is very busy and there are a lot of posts - pages move on quickly, it can seem as if things have been lost - a thanks or like button is just a nice way to show that you have seen something and liked the contribution.

I've used lots of forums, large and small, Ive never had the sense of people taking it competitively. I just think it's a pleasant thing to have.

as long as no one starts posting "Like this post, or Meredith the Mad Marsupial will come and devour your garden plants at exactly 11:37pm" - and things of that nature.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,725
    So that’s who did it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,750
    I've watched my husband use the like icon . I asked him why he clicked everything even when he hadn't even read the posts. He said he did it to be polite. He could've been liking anything!
    I never use it. If I've got something to say, I say it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.