Borage 🤨

I am by no means a keen gardener and I have just got a new house. The garden is full of Borage, I think this must be quite invasive as it is seen everywhere in North London especially in overgrown gardens. 

I want rid, so I can deck garden and maybe turf.  What's the best way to stop it? I've put weed killer down will this stop it? 

Ideas greatfuly received! 
Ruth

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,957
    If you've used weedkiller, then yes,  that'll kill it.
    It's very easy to pull up though, in my experience. It will seed in from other places so you will need to pull it out when seedlings appear if you don't want it. 
    Bees/hoverflies love it - it's a really valuable plant for wildlife.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 499
    Hi @AsprouRuth I bet it's not borage but green alkanet. A bit more info here: https://www.janeperrone.com/blog/greenalkanet you'll have to go the chemical route if you want a clean slate. But it will probably return if nearby garden have it in quantities...a bit of frequent weeding will keep it at bay.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052
    edited 31 May
    I share the suspicion voiced above 
  • AsprouRuthAsprouRuth Posts: 3
    Thanks fairy girl, I've noticed how much the bees love the plants so feel quite sad about getting rid of them. perhaps I can add some to the garden when I finished but in a container to stop the crazy spreading.
  • AsprouRuthAsprouRuth Posts: 3
    Hi @AsprouRuth I bet it's not borage but green alkanet. A bit more info here: https://www.janeperrone.com/blog/greenalkanet you'll have to go the chemical route if you want a clean slate. But it will probably return if nearby garden have it in quantities...a bit of frequent weeding will keep it at bay.
    Oh my goodness, you're correct! All of the gardens round here are mostly overgrown and full of it 😣
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,481
    I'm pretty sure you're talking about green alkanet too, not borage. I can bore you to tears with my battle with it if you like (also London), but suffice to say: digging up whatever you can get to (or rather, digging down, to get the tap root out) and some judicious use of weedkiller if necessary will work. I can say I've beaten it into submission.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    It grows really easily from seed so don't let it flower. The seedlings are very easy to pull up bit you have to keep at them as they seem to come from nowhere.