If............ and no cheating!

B3B3 Posts: 9,760
If there was a gardening apocalypse and you could save only one plant in your garden, what would it be? ( pictures would be good  but not essential).
In London. Keen but lazy.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 596
    The wild strawberries I took from my grans.. I think you all know what they look like.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,140
    My Cycad - grown from seed in 1980.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,760
    My artichoke woud be the one.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,175
    Probably should say something edible, but, these echinaceas, they do so well here and the colour would cheer me up. This pic was from last year. As you can see, the apocalypse has already hit ‘the lawn’  :D

• Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,041
    I’d save the Knautia Macedonia. Ours are just coming into bloom and already really tall, swaying in the breeze.
    North East
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,304
    Cavelo nero would probably take you a long way.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,140
    Only do you a couple of years at the most tho ?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,880
    The Knautia would be a good one, not easy to grow from seeds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,201
    I think I'd take my elder bush.  I could tie down a branch to make a bender tent for shelter.  When the berries came, I'd plant some, they are easy to grow.  Before long I'd have a thicket of them.  I'd coppice them for kindling, eat the berries and sun-dry the surplus for later use.  If the post-apocalyptic regime became unbearable, I could ferment the berries and get pissed.
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 44
    My Rose.  My Valentine. IMO it has to be todays top red rose.  It's a HT with large blooms that last in excess of twenty-one days with no colour fading.  I purchased it mainly due to it's name and in rememberance of my beloved wive Valerie.  She was My Valentine, she was born on 14/2/1944.  We shared 49 wonerful years together.