Dahlias

Ive havent planted Dahlias before.I bought 10 tubers n cut them apart. Planted 6 of best ones but only one has a sh6oot. Any suggestion wld be appreciated. Shld i dig them up n check for rot? Do they like little water or lot? 

• lja4peacelja4peace Posts: 6
    shoot, lol
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 415
    When you say cut them apart I'm not sure if you realised that they usually grow from the neck of last years stem. An individual bit of tuber might not have any dormant buds. Even if the tuber roots it may never produce a shoot. How long ago did you plant them? are they in pots or in the ground? 
    when they are actively growing in the ground keep them well watered and fed. If they are in pots and you're waiting for growth keep them moist, too much water will rot them at that stage of development.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,710
    You shouldn’t ever cut newly bought dahlia tubers. They will come to you with only one neck as Bilje says. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• lja4peacelja4peace Posts: 6
    Ohhh Darn, watched youtube video where he was cutting them apart. Thank You for info. I do have one little sprout that am so excited about☺

• Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 47
    Have to agree with Lyn.  Dahlias are a bit strange.  Even tiny tubers attained from one year seedlins, you may have what appears to be a healthy bunch of tubers.  However only the tuber that has the remains of the plant stem is the important part.  When new growth starts, it will be from the base of this old stem.  To increase your stock.  Set the tubers in trays etc with a light covering of a peat substitute, even vermiculite.  As a new shoot appears wait until it's about 2-3 inches tall.  At this stage, it's stem has developed a couple of leaf-like joints.  Cut the stem just above the lowest joint.  This will ensure new growth to develope.  Carefully trim the cutting to just below the lowest leafe joint.  Let it rest a while, without drying out, if need be, dip it in a hormone rooting powder, shake off excess then insert in compost and traet as any other cutting.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 480
    I remember last year, opening my first pack of dahlia tubers ready to plant, pulling out the first one and thinking "what the 'eck is this!?"