Forum home Problem solving

Help! My plant has gotten too big for the awkward container

Hi all, I have a spider plant in a container that narrows before getting wider further down, and I wasn't expecting it to do as well as it has. The roots are starting to come out of the top of the soil and it is a ceramic pot. I don't want to destroy the pot or the plant really because they both have sentimental value to me, and I have had a search around and I cannot find anything about how to remove the plant.
Picture attached.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,723
    You need to really soak it. Stand it in a bowl of water so the entire pot is submerged and leave it there for about half an hour so the soil in the pot is saturated. Not guaranteeing it'll work, but it's your best chance to be be able to get it out.

I'm not good at houseplants, but I don't think spider plants like to be wet, so you'll have to make sure when you pot it on to not over water it after it's bath
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Thank you for the quick reply  :) I will try that when I have some time. I have been having to soak it sometimes because it keeps drying out. I never thought to try and pull it out when I do it  :D
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 666
    Won’t do any harm if a few of the roots break. spider plants readily bounce back after they have been re potted, just don’t go to a huge pot they actually seem to prefer to be quite constricted, just not completely pot bound.