Help with my blank canvas of a garden!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,444
    I wouldn't bother with lawn, unless you really love it.  If you like the look of ornamental grasses you could have some in the bottom area. Maybe with a gravel mulch and a gravel path through to a seat at the far end.  Google image search gave me these for starters: https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&q=ornamental+grass+garden+designs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf0rTJhIDkAhUMKBoKHd2KCnQQrNwCCFcoBA&biw=1160&bih=582&dpr=1.09
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,775
    How about decking (sleeper deck?) and let the area around it go nice and wild with a forest garden feel 

• steven_playfordsteven_playford Posts: 19
    edited 13 August
    I live in ireland and as much as I love decking (I spent most of my childhood summers in Canada where everyone pretty much lives on decks in the heat). I can imagine it would be wrecked here every couple of years from 11.5 months of rain we get.

Got a quote there, 2 tonne of shingle (20mm golden gravel) and 30 metres landscape fabric is £230 quid. We can't get the lovely pea gravel people get in england here for cheap :( Like this idea with grasses. Add shed, insta Prospect Cottage.

The grey stone is about 100 incl fabric and delivery as its basically building aggregate.

Grass would be very cheap from seed., but I'm a bit ho humm.

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 229
    Very nice! You have been busy. Just caught up on this thread. I do not think you are putting too much in. Remember-taller makes the space look bigger.
  • These are two recent renovated areas in my garden.
    The top patio was competed last week and took a large bag of 20mm gravel, luckily onto a concrete base from the old patio flagstones. The intention is for it to become a little tropical area, weather permitting. Will see how we go :)

The bricks of the retaining wall just need painting grey to finish off.

This is also my grass border area which is a work in progress as I fill it up more each year but I love the movement I get from it :)

There are two stipa giganticas in there which I'm hoping will be dramatic next year.
  • steven_playfordsteven_playford Posts: 19
    edited 20 August

Last weekend managed to tidy up the last of the rubbish from patio build and built the base for tool shed. Plan is for a little 6 x 4 shed, the pavers are 5 x 4 so will be trimming it this weekend with reclaimed brick. the shed will be painted same as fence, so should look a tidy job and clear my house of tools and DIY nonsense!

I'll post a pic of bottom of garden now all the rubbish is away, its a bigger job! 

The flatter section is 14ft x 12. Then a lower section of about 8 x 12. Thinking a 10ft x 10ft summer house at bottom on piers so I could use the 8ft bit, say 4ft on higher bit that should leave me 10ft x 12ft of space. 
  • These are two recent renovated areas in my garden.
    The top patio was competed last week and took a large bag of 20mm gravel, luckily onto a concrete base from the old patio flagstones. The intention is for it to become a little tropical area, weather permitting. Will see how we go :)

The bricks of the retaining wall just need painting grey to finish off.

This is also my grass border area which is a work in progress as I fill it up more each year but I love the movement I get from it :)

There are two stipa giganticas in there which I'm hoping will be dramatic next year.
    I like the tropical planting and stone walls, something very american mid century ranch house, if you know what I mean :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899
    Just zipping thru here, my goodness thats expensive for 2 ton of shingle and ground cover!!We bought 2 ton and ground cover this summer, treated ourselves to a summerhouse, and Hubby made a beach effect patio in front of that, cant remember the cost but nothing like yours!
  • Ok, so went a bit mad. Got 3 tonne of grey stone coming tomorrow incl fabric for 120 quid. Also picked up 3 fargesia rufa clumping bamboos to use as screening from b&q. I’ll update with stone pics. Still would like a big bamboo to cover the tree down the bottom.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,775
    Pea gravel isn't the best for a surface anyway Steven, it's rounded so it rolls around underfoot and you sink in it. Chippings are much better. Re decking I meant timber sleepers not B&Q deck boards, which would last longer, but yeah an expensive way of doing it really. It's looking good now it's been opened up.