Cherry tree advice for growing in container

Hi all,

Yesterday I was given a cherry tree sapling by the Woodland Trust at an event. The only way I can plant and keep it is to have it in a container. I'd love to keep growing it in the container and move it with me when moving house. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this? 

What should of container/size should I be looking for? How do I take care of it? Is it ok in a south-facing garden, or should I keep it in the front of the house? (North-facing) 

My garden is also entirely patio/decking so I'm a bit concerned about drainage (I understand that a container with drainage is the best idea for a cherry tree?), and wondered how I could accommodate for this?

Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping I've posted this in the right place? I'm very new to gardening but super excited to get started. 

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 204
    hi, welcome to the forum.
    Cherry trees come in all shapes and sizes so it wold help to know what you have. Cherry trees generally are very big trees, growing the size of houses and as such need the rootspace to accommodate this.

It doesn't really sound like you have a grafted variety - but you might have- where the variety is grafted on to a different root to limit its growing capacity. These generally do better in pots.

I have never tried growing a full sized cherry in a pot but I would imagine it would get root bound which will stunt growth, attaract disease and yield badly.

It's a shame you can't plant it, maybe in the woods somewhere?