Cloudy pond

Moved in 15 years ago. Had existing pond approx 6 metres x 4 metres x 1.5 metres deep.  No filtration equipment fitted only fountain in middle. Last 18 months started clouding up in late spring summer.  Fish seem healthy.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,351
    Nice pond.

They come. They go. I find that my ponds change by the week sometimes.  Just things balancing themselves out.

Do you have amphibians in there? Sometimes they stir up a lot of stuff.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SueG1SueG1 Posts: 11
    I agree, don't worry about it, it'll sort itself out.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,762
    So long as the fish aren't gasping at the surface then you're ok.
    I agree with the comments above, but keep an eye out, a sudden algae bloom can sometimes deprive the pond of so much oxygen it can kill the fish.
    If the fish start gasping, then you'll need to put a hose in for a few hours to replenish oxygen in the water, otherwise it's just what ponds do this time of year
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Cheeseman866Cheeseman866 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your replies guys. We do have frogs and occasional ducks come in.  Fish seem ok so I will stop worrying that the pond is going stagnant.  Will keep an eye on it. 
  • philsphils Posts: 3
    Did you test all parameters, including pH/KH? Also, how new is your pond? If your water parameters are all good it could just be a bacteria bloom. It could also be a spike in tannin (organic color) from organic debris entering the water, which is very common this time of year. Have a look here for information on this: https://pondinformer.com/remove-tannins-pond-water/
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,693
    Ducks make ponds cloudy... not only do they stir up the mud at the bottom when they dabble, but they also poop in the water ... 🙄 😉
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh