Forum home Problem solving

Help! Whats wrong with my Aubergines and peppers

2»

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Your toms do seem to be doing well, and if it aint broke....

Are you growing a 'bush' variety of tomato? 
    Most tomatoes are grown as cordons, so a single stem going up a cane/string with no side-shoots (all side shoots are removed when they get to about 1")

If the variety you have is a bush type (called a determinate tomato), then all's good.
    If it's a cordon type (called an indeterminate tomato), then you need to do some pruning or you'll end up with a big tangle and not many toms.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • biggaz007biggaz007 Posts: 8
    Nollie: Yes there aren't as many leaks on the toms side, where water is constantly dripping all over the other side keeping it moist throughout the bad weather. I hope we are in for a sunny spell now to dry it out a bit. I will have a good go at digging out some of the fresh manure and hope no damage has been done. Thank you!

Pete: I have no idea, we just grabbed a few packets of seeds from wilkos and went with it. I will find the packets and find out, and if they are cordon types, should I remove all the "Branches" on the entire stem? Just leaving leaves and flowers? Thank you 
    Most varieties grown in the UK are cordon types.
    Bush varieties are like Tumbling Tom that people grow in hanging baskets and form a small bush

The info you need is here from the RHS (under Pruning and Training about 1/2 way down the page), but check the variety first - if you're not sure, post the name here and we can let you know
  • biggaz007biggaz007 Posts: 8
    Hi Guys, hope you had good weekends!

Pete: The wilkos packets aren't very helpful... Unless "Tomato red cherry" is actually a variety? 
    I have gently removed some of the manure from around the toms roots but didn't dig too deep as to disturb them as they are doing so well. I did however have a word with the guy I got the manure from and he assures me hes been using fresh horse manure for years with no ill affect, as horse manure is gentle and fine to use fresh...? But hes never grown aubergine...

Mr Fothergills sells a Red Cherry Tomato -
    https://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds/Cherry/Tomato-Cherry-Red-Cherry-Seeds.html#.XPTbjIj0laQ

I'd never use fresh manure on anything that's growing, but if your plants are doing well, then I'd leave things as they are
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,085
    edited June 2019
    It depends what folks call fresh ... fresh from the stable when it will be very acidic, or fresh from the farm/stableyard where it could’ve been stacked on a manure heap for months or even years. That’d be fine. 

Or theres ‘pony pickings’ of poop direct from the field. This won’t have any urine-soaked straw in it and can be dug straight into the soil. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh