Plant registration and plant breeders’ rights

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 834
I am asking this out of nothing more than curiosity, an interest piqued by someone saying on the clematis thread that they had bred a new plant which they were considering registering.

Doing some superficial research it seems registering the plant with the RHS is free but applying for Plant Breeders’ Rights incurs an administration fee of about £750 and a c. £2000 annual registration charge. I can easily guess the bottom figure - £0 - but if a plant is PBR protected what possible returns might accrue?

I know that I am effectively answering how long is a piece of string but if the plant makes its way into more than a few garden centres and if there is a tie up with a distributor would the advance payments be more than covered? Is the owner of the rights to geranium Rozanne enjoying a life of indolence in the Caribbean? 

I have no aspiration whatsoever to breed my own plants but I am just wondering about financial returns for those that do. A friend of mine is a successful author and moans all the time about the pittance she’s paid in royalties. In that case, I am often tempted to say, sell one of your four houses. How high up the hog do successful plant breeders live?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,258
    I have absolutely no idea, but I agree it is an interesting question, and I would now love to know the answer.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    Don't know if it will give you life of unbridled luxury,  but if you ever discover the next "Rozanne",  here's how to go about it.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/plant-breeders-rights
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,637
    I think most amateurs who breed something potentially marketable then sell it to one of the plant breeding companies who have the capabilities and funds to produce millions of whatever it is quickly and to promote it successfully. 

No no idea how much the amateur gets paid for it tho’ . 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Richard HodsonRichard Hodson Posts: 770
    Picidae, I posted the picture of the new clematis earlier, first flowers look very exciting.  I have bred and Registered several in the past including clematis Carol Klein, which is now available in many other countries, I never put PBR on any of them, not sure of costs but the paperwork alone is enough to put me off.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169
    We have a close friend who got PBR on a Geranium. After well over 10 years of it she is still not in profit even though the plant sells quite well in America, though not so much in Britain.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,478
    Lovely picture @Richard Hodson

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,637
    😊 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh