Sometimes nature does it better without us.

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411

Derelict railway land in the middle of Llandudno's industrial quarter.

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
    Beautiful!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,728
    That's lovely @josusa47 . I'm trying to persuade our local council not to cut the grass on the large verge outside our house, it's a mass of daisies and buttercups
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411
    Those in the know come here in August to pick blackberries.
  • Xander RanderXander Rander Posts: 70
    @josusa47 it has indeed done it better than us for the past billion or so years ;)

what is the name name of the pink and white flower? I salvaged some from the front of my garden to grow elsewhere and I love it (as do the bees). I only have pink and was hoping to find it or buy it in different colours but have no clue what it is called.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,660
    edited 30 May
    @josusa47 it has indeed done it better than us for the past billion or so years ;)

what is the name name of the pink and white flower? I salvaged some from the front of my garden to grow elsewhere and I love it (as do the bees). I only have pink and was hoping to find it or buy it in different colours but have no clue what it is called.
    Centranthus ruber ‘alba’ 

There is also a red as well as the pink version. 

The local authority here grew a mix very similar to that on some roundabouts and roadside beds and they self-seeded for several years.  😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Xander RanderXander Rander Posts: 70
    @Dovefromabove thank you so much! I’ve noticed it never takes you long to identify plants! There needs to be a forum sticky dedicated to you and your plant identification :smiley:
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,660
    You’re very kind @Xander Rander 🙏.... there’s lots of folk with good plant knowledge on here ... sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don’t 😆 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,264
    That picture illustrates beautifully why I encourage plants to self seed, some of the combinations that it creates, are far better than I would come up with.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,480
    There is no doubt that nature would do best of all if we buggered off entirely.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,574
    My verges coordinate their ribbons of colour and form beautifully... whether thats setting off the purple aquilegias against vivid green euphorbias, pairing yellow helianthemums with white flowering thyme and a taller white airy one I don't know, or just the most enormous swathe of red poppies...

Nature gets succession planting so right too, just as one thing fades...