Strimmers and line thickness

I've recently bought a 52cc petrol strimmer / brush cutter and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on line thicknesses. For years I've been using a Robin / Makita 20cc machine which uses 2.4mm line and I'm interested to know if anyone has experience or recommendations of thicker lines and profiles such as square, twisted or serrated. 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,550
    What sort of strimmer have you bought ? Its quite a size for a strimmer. Normally when I use a big strimmer I use 3mm line sometimes 3.3mm but the 3.3mm can be difficult to thread through the eyelets so that something else to think about.

I wouldn't worry about profile of the line as long as it cuts and its strong, I can't say I've use serrated or square line. Round is mostly commonly used , I've used the twisted line which is good and strong compared to round and I've used a triangle shape a while back which I like as well. 
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 440
    edited 29 May
    What are you using it for? Lawn edging, or clearance? I assume it's a harness/handlebar machine? 
  • Strimmer model is the SGS 52cc Professional, quite heavy but a bit of a beast. I'll use it mostly for clearance of heavy brambles and yes it's a handlebar and harness jobbie. For lLawn clearance 2.4mm would be fine but for heavier stuffI'm not sure how thick to go. It sounds like 3.00  would be a good compromise but I see even 4mm is available for the real heavy stuff, which makes me think that a carbide blade would be better than 3.5mm or 4.00mm. Thanks for the replies gents.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 440
    You're bang on. No need for any line over 3mm. Thick line doesn't cut as well, and fpr brambles etc I'd want a blade anyway. 

I use whisper x as a general cutting line. 2.4mm for lawns, 3mm for cutting bankings and big lawn edge jobs
  • Thank you Glasgow Dan, just what I needed to know.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 496
    For heavier work we use a 3mm bi-material twisted line (ie plastic & wire). Cuts well, lasts much longer than plastic alone so worth the extra price.  Also means we rarely have to change to the brush cutter head, even with brambles.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,642
    The man who strims my brambles always uses a blade.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 496
    I’m a bit scared of the blade, especially doing brambles as so easy to trip, so prefer to work with a strong line. 
  • Yes indeed Helix. I have been using a tungsten carbide blade with about 80 teeth on it and although nothing stands in its path and it makes light work of it, if it ever came off....
  • Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 54
    Not sure if this would work for you but my dad used to ditch the strimmer lines and used thick cable ties. 
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry.