Ground cover planting around pond

I've recently installed a small wildlife pond (no fish). My wife and I didn't like the look of the preformed black plastic exposed rim around the pond, so we put pebbles around to cover it as per this photo...I'd like to remove most of the pebbles and grow some ground cover type plant in the soil that will surround the pond and mask the plastic rim. Surrounding the pond is just a layer of 20mm pea gravel on top of soil. Searching online I found Creeping Jenny at first and then quickly discovered numerous other ground cover plants, so am now faced with a bewildering choice and need some advice. I would appreciate any suggestions for one, or several different ground cover plants that are evergreen, and will preferably attract pollinators while looking good covering the edge of the pond.
Thank you.
Trying to bring more wildlife into the garden.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,733
    I've used sedums and saxifrages. I see you've already got a saxifrage growing there so hopefully that will spread out into a large mat, they like a bit more shade and moisture than the sedums though. I've found some natural L-shaped stones which hang over the lip of the liner but you can cut natural stones to that shape easily too if they're soft enough.

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Bugle (Ajuga reptans) is evergreen (or ever-purple if you pick the right variety) and is fast-growing. Nice blue flowers too, and they attract bees.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    Creeping thyme works well. It will drape over the pond edge, is evergreen, and has gorgeous pink flowers at this time of year.....popular with bees.
  • pete2112pete2112 Posts: 5
    The other day I planted a variety of 11 small flowering creeper plants around the pond edge. The small plants will hopefully soon grow and spread. They include 5 different Campanulas, Creeping Jenny, 3 different Sedums, a Leptinella, and Vinca minor. Still room for some Bugle and Creeping Thyme which I might get this weekend. Should soon be removing the big pebbles or just letting the plants cover them. Thanks for your interest.

Trying to bring more wildlife into the garden.