Forum home Plants

Lavatera

I haven’t pruned my lavatera and it is rather large and dominating neighbouring plants. Should I cut it back, even though it’s rather late, or wait until next spring?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,949
    Too late!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    I pretty much hammer my L."Barnsley" to keep it as I want it. What's more important for you this year, do you want to see the flowers it's about to produce or is it more important to get it under control for the benefit of other plants? You won't kill it by pruning it now but it may not give you much of a display if you do. Personally, if I wasn't sure, I,d do a little now to tidy it up then go for it next spring. 
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 602
    My lavatera Barnsley died after just two summers - is that normal? It was growing in full sun, quite protected. Was quite happy even during last year hot and dry summer. 

Another one, Barnsley Baby - is doing great in its second year. Was very beautiful last summer, looking forward to the new flowers already.
    Surrey
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,009
    Lavateras are not too hardy with me. I have tried them a couple of times and they each have given up after a couple of years. I always had thought of them as being really hardy but maybe not so much in Scotland. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller