Forum home Plants

Oxygenating/floating pond plants

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,700
Looking for suggestions for surface floating, perhaps self rooting pond plants.  Our pond is 3 - 4 foot deep in the centre, quite large with a rubber lining.  There is a waterfall running into it and a pond filter/pump in the centre, so the water is always moving.  We have 3 water lilies planted in baskets, too much blanket weed and elodea and I know there are plants that don't like moving water which is what we have.  Any ideas what would work best please.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,341
    We just bought some Salvinia natans.  We had it before and it spread quite quickly.  It won’t root to the bottom and it’s not hardy here in the UK. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,184
    We like Water Soldiers ... Stratiotes aloides

https://www.puddleplants.co.uk/product/water-soldier/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae) is supposed to be good.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,700
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Do the Water Soldiers and Frogbit over winter safely in the pond?
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I believe they do.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 593
    Frogbit vanishes to the bottom of the pond than comes back in the spring seems to be more each year so overwinters here in the ne no problem
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,184
    Water soldiers sink to the bottom of the pond for the winter and pop back up again when it warms up. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,700
    The Frogbit and Water Soldier sound like my type of plants, I will probably have to order them.  Will let you know. Thanks again.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,009
    Water hawthorn is a good one. It will eventually root into the bottom but plant it in a pot first. Almost evergreen, flowers are white. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,079
    Seconding water hawthorn (Aponogeton distachyos). Fabulous plant.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero