Forum home Problem solving

Privet dying off

Wharris0613Wharris0613 Lichfield Posts: 2
Hi all, my mum has a privet hedge which is dying off. She sent me this picture and asked me to try and find root ( gardening pun haha) cause. Please does anyone have any ideas. The hedge has been there probably for 50 years. Any suggestions on how to cure it or to reinforce it as it is her main boundary to the road and path outside. Thanks for your time and help

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,310
    Unless it’s a result of this years dry spring on top
    of last year’s drought ... 🙄 

Any ideas anyone? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    We had honey fungus attacking our privet hedge which went completely brown and died off, but this doesn't look the same.  Can you google honey fungus to rule that out Wharris?
  • Wharris0613Wharris0613 Lichfield Posts: 2
    edited May 2019
    Thanks guys. I have Googled it today, and am pretty sure it isn't honey fungus because the symptoms don't match. From photos and articles I've seen I suspect it may be a virus along the lines of necrotic ringspot disease, but that is wild googling speculation. I do not know anything about gardening tbh and am just comparing pictures. Hopefully someone might give a definitive view 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    Good luck Wharris, I would be interested to know what is causing this problem on your mother's hedge.  Our privet hedging is over 100 years old, it looks old, tired and dated now, but has made a great privacy barrier from passing traffic for which I am very grateful.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,216
    There's lots of privet hedges doing the same all round the country. It seems nobody knows why, although I suspect the drought last year. Yours looks slightly different however as the leaves look curled - possibly aphids of some sort? 
  • ladycruiserladycruiser Posts: 21
    Hi all, my mum has a privet hedge which is dying off. She sent me this picture and asked me to try and find root ( gardening pun haha) cause. Please does anyone have any ideas. The hedge has been there probably for 50 years. Any suggestions on how to cure it or to reinforce it as it is her main boundary to the road and path outside. Thanks for your time and help

My 90  year old 70ft private hedge has a similar complaint, my local garden centre says it is honey fungus and there is no cure. We will have to dig it up and burn it. We cannot plant in the same spot for 8 years!!. Looks like I will ave to fork out for a new fence 6ft high