Forum home Plants

Should I give up this Cordyline?

dannyblack140492dannyblack140492 Warrington Posts: 29
Evening all, we bought this cordyline late last year around September when it was a little smaller and full of beautiful pink colouring in the leaves

It had a rough winter and we kept it inside away from the frost in the garage most of the nights bringing it out in the day when it was warmer to get some sun 

Gradually over time each leaf has browned and I pulled it off until now it seems to have reached a point of no return 

My question is, where did I go wrong? Is there any saving this or should I just get rid cut my losses and replace it with something else 

Cheers 

• dannyblack140492dannyblack140492 Warrington Posts: 29

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    i would bet putting it in the garage has starved it of light (even putting it outside on sunny days) they're pretty tough plants and could of coped with last winter easily. i don't think its past it, just get it somewhere light that gets direct sunlight for a couple of hours on a morning or evening, (not at midday for now as it'll get burned) for a few weeks then it can go in full sun from then on
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,936
    Check the pot and see if roots are escaping out of the bottom.  If they are, water well then re-pot in a slightly bigger, deeper pot with good compost and then top dress with a  bit of slow release fertiliser.  If the roots are not showing just top dress to feed it.

Plant some summer bedding such as pelargoniums in toning pinks or whatever takes your fancy to hide that bare stem while it recovers and puts on new leaves.  Keep it in a sunny, sheltered position and protect from heavy frosts.  It is not hardy below -5C.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks for all the replies,  apologies for the delay I've been working away for the last few nights and things are crazy. But I'm back and I've checked the roots and theres no roots growing anywhere near the bottom of the pot and the top looks like this 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,941
    Regarding the growing point , I think what Philippa meant was to check INSIDE the rosette of leaves . At its heart you should see young leaves in  the process of development .
    If not , then the whole stem can be cut down as advised above , and the plant will regenerate from the base ; in time this will make a multi-stemmed specimen .
    If you do that , keep watering as normal .
    Ah yes I see!

It seems as though there was a bunch of small leaves coiled together growing from the middle so looks like it's just the stem is growing into a long stem rather than flowing out I guess

What would you advise the best way to allow it to grow without the leaves flopping and bending maybe some bamboo support?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,941
    It is only because you've removed the tougher outer leaves , thus exposing the slightly under-developed inner leaves , that they droop slightly . Support if you feel the need to .
    Stand the plant in dappled shade to avoid scorching ,  water and feed regularly and the leaves will eventually strengthen .
    Incidentally , the main stem will soon take on a pleasing pale-brown colouration as the exposed tissue callouses over .
    Okay thanks Paul and everybody else, forum is already proving helpful have a lot more to show and ask when we get stuck into the garden next weekend again