Forum home Problem solving

Yellow 'eggs' in compost

Anyone know what these are please? Hundreds of them in some compost I bought, not cheap stuff either it's Miracle Grow!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,509
    I think they're probably Miracle Grow Slow Release plant food pellets - give one a squeeze - dare you :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,148
    Pete's right, Michael. Slow release food which is sometimes in compost.

He's very naughty telling you to squeeze one... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• But I've bought Miracle Grow slow release plant food and they're like little pebbles, these things burst when squeezed?
  • Definitely slow release fertiliser, miracle gro sell the fertiliser separately in large tubs too. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,351
    But I've bought Miracle Grow slow release plant food and they're like little pebbles, these things burst when squeezed?
    Definitely slow release fertiliser. The shell is permeable and the liquid fertiliser it contains passes through slowly. You’re not the first to be puzzled by these ... it’s a pretty frequent query here. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have just taken my begonias out of the pots for the winter. I found a large group of round yellow eggs next to the roots of each plant and nowhere else. The distribution did  not seem consistent with fertilizer

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    Did you put the begonias in the pots yourself?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Anyone know what these are please? Hundreds of them in some compost I bought, not cheap stuff either it's Miracle Grow!

Although this is a couple of years later… 2022… these yellow ‘balls’ are actually worm eggs. Depending on worm species they contain between one to eight or so baby worms. They are found in compost bags because worms form part of the composting process. Certainly some companies ‘add’ fertilisers but in this specific case.. they are worm eggs and your very best friend(s)… 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,531
    Really? I think the majority are fertiliser pellets.  Worm eggs are slightly less yellow and not as uniform in shape...and more translucent.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,954
    I agree.