Good quality digging spade and fork

Distorted VisionDistorted Vision Posts: 13
edited 28 May in Tools and techniques
I am looking for a new digging spade and fork. I'm looking for something that is high quality that will last and don't mind paying a bit more. I've been looking at these two:

Spear & Jackson Neverbend:

https://www.spear-and-jackson.com/products/garden-tools-outdoor-living/neverbend-carbon/digging/neverbend-carbon-digging-spade

Burgon & Ball:

https://www.burgonandball.com/products/digging-spade-rhs-endorsed

or any other recommendations please.

Many thanks!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605
    I've been happy with my Bulldog spade and fork with Ash (I think) shafts.
    Had them about 4 years now and been used for plenty of root removal as well as usual digging, and so far so good 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,175
    Another vote for Bulldog - the only fork I haven’t managed to bend - I have had many but all others, cheap and ridiculously expensive, have bent within months, or sometimes weeks. I am hoping the birthday fairy will bring me the matching spade soon!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,915
    I have had a Spear and Jackson spade and fork, and a Wilkinson spade - had all of them since I had my first garden almost 50 years ago. They have been used in a variety of gardens and conditions over the years - from new build to old and neglected to bit of a field - and from heavy clay to rich loam. Still all in one piece. I really think it is a case of using the right tool for a job that lengthens the life of your tools and although I don't oil them or anything, they are always cleaned and put away after use. 
    The question you need to ask yourself is 'are you a hashy-bashy type of person or one who cares about your tools and treats them well'. Then buy at that price-point. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller