Get a hobby!

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    edited 29 May
    It's odd living with people who don't get your interest at all. I have two friends living with me and when I come dancing in all excited about the first rose out or a frog in the pond or newly made compost both friends look at me as if I have bought in dog poo.

I can imagine being bored solid by a model railway enthusiast; I have little interest in pets, where others are obsessed. But somehow it seems important to be curious and interested about the green world. It cannot but enrich a life and a mind.

"Hobby" seems such a dismissive word. I'm trying to support bird and insect populations as both crash. I'm trying to create a beautiful environment where my neighbours, family and friends can relax. And trying to learn how the world works.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    I could maybe understand it if there was nothing "concrete" to see. At this hour of the morning l am struggling to think of a hobby where the results are not immediately obvious,  but l am sure there are some🙄.
    I am a woman who comes rushing (well alright, moving quite quickly) from the garden crying "hedgehog poo !". I talk to the birds, and they understand me 😁.
    I know it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing, and @pitter-patter summed it up very well.
    I think it's just one of those things, l will be charitable and hope that they didn't mean to hurt your feelings, they were just unthinking. I'm sure there are others who enjoy visiting your garden @Guernsey Donkey2 and appreciate the "work" that goes into it.  :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,856
    Picidae, you and I should get together and form a club. 

If only we could summon the energy.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 626
    AnniD said:
    I could maybe understand it if there was nothing "concrete" to see. At this hour of the morning l am struggling to think of a hobby where the results are not immediately obvious,  but l am sure there are some🙄.
    My other great passion (I dislike the word hobby), is classical music. Sitting in a chair and listening to an hour long symphony (Bruckner, Mahler) gives me exquisite joy. Classical music has been like a very close friend in the hardest moments of my life. What are the benefits? I believe it enriches me as a human being... In what ways, it’s a long discussion. But visible results or not, we should be respectful (at least) towards other people and how they spend their time.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    I quite agree @pitter-patter ; :)
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 458
    Your joy at listening to classical music reminds me of my dear old Dad, @pitter-patter, sadly no longer with us... I would find him in later years listening alone with tears streaming down his face, so moved was he by the music. This is something I could never relate to, but somehow I envied him the deep deep emotion that the music brought him...
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,002
    I never really thought of my gardening as being a hobby as such, so I've checked the dictionary definition and I find I have a hobby. 
    I refer to it as going out for a Harry. OH knows what I mean.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,890
    I have realized that since finishing work that even though I enjoyed gardening, it has taken a move of house and a big garden to move it on to obsession.  
    Just back from holiday at 9pm what do I do, check the garden. This morning its feed the birds and sit having breakfast to watch if my regulars are ok. If this isn't a job ( and the reason my hubby says I'm becoming a hermit 🙂) I don't want another. 
    Ps. Put hog food out last night too.🙂
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    edited 29 May
    Whenever we have friends around on an evening, I try everything I can to engineer it so we sit at the end of the garden, while my wife, who loves our new kitchen, always wants everyone to sit in there. I've spent lord knows how many hours making the perfect place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine surrounded by plants, flowers, scent and wildlife, and I make sure they bloody sit there whether they enjoy it or not! :smile: We usually compromise on sitting outside until everyone is too cold and miserable and then we come in.

Although we get so much pleasure from our own gardens, it is always nice to show somebody round who is appreciative. We've done open gardens the last couple of times the village has had it, and I'd highly recommend that to anyone, however big or small your plot is, its really lovely to have appreciative visitors (along with a fair few who just look at all my wildflowers and mutter how its just a load of weeds).
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,161
    We were talking about hobbies the other day funnily enough (OH & I).  As a child I collected farmyard animals and accessories, Dolls then National Dolls from various countries, stamps, postcards and so it went on, all my siblings had various collections too.  Dad was a great collector and when he died his collections were either sold at auctions or on the internet. I feel that our collections which really were hobbies to us have enriched our lives as we discover where certain stamps, postcards and the like originated from.  I know some children do collect too, but so many just aren't interested in anything that isn't technology based.  I find this so sad.

You made me laugh with your comments regarding sitting in the garden versus the new kitchen Jellyfire, I always strive to have more visitors here in the summer so we can sit outside and enjoy the garden.  They never seem to complain, are they just being polite I ask myself?  Yes, I am a sensitive soul, but as guests at our house my siblings really did over step the mark. I feel a cooling of relationships may be in order, sadly.