Forum home Problem solving

soil pest?

Hi All
I am relatively new to gardening and am looking for advice / comments on my post.
I have a problem with a pest i have discovered in my potting compost. My plants were not coming on as expected and after watching, in this case a large tubered dahlia saved from last year and overwintered in my shed. It has been planted  for a couple of months and top growth is less than 130mm should be much bigger i would have thought. I think I may have made a mistake in using last years spent compost bulked up with my own home produced compost. i have just bit the bullet and lifted the tuber to find the soil infested with the creature pictured below, they are wire like and ranging from 5/10mm long . I intend to clean of the tuber and replant in fresh shop bought compost. Any thoughts on the  type of creature, any treatment, how to dispose of them.
A treatment would be good as I have used the same compost for several other plants and they are not thriving as hoped for, not holding my breath though.
Any thoughts, thanks for looking...     

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,201
    I don't know what it's called but you are better without it. It's much better to use fresh compost and use the old for mulching or soil improvement.