Forum home Plants

While we were travelling

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,748
As we were travelling though Ireland saw this plant growing on stone walls, any idea of name?Also outside our patio this was growing. I think it's an Azalea but not sure.It looked lovely and glowed whatever the light. Thanks in advance for any help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,317
    The first is Ivy-leaved toadflax ... Cymbalaria muralis ... love it. Such a pretty thing. 

Not a grower of rhodos etc so  I’ll leave that to the others. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,748
    Thanks @Dovefromabove it looked lovely running along the walls with the little ferns,  as I have low walls was wondering about something like it.😁
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,678
    It seeds all over the place, in containers, cracks, corners. Easy to pull out if it's where you don't want it and you can cut a chunk off if it gets too long
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Thanks @B3 🙂
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,398
    It's running riot here. It is pretty though.  Your yellow plant is a rhodo/azalea (apparently there's very little difference between the two although I think azaleas are smaller). 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,195
    This is a rather nice blog post about the first plant: https://frustratedgardener.com/2019/04/14/plant-profile-ivy-leaved-toadflax/
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,883
    Possibly rhododendron luteum ?
    The honeysuckle Azalea looks right so well done @AnniD for a good catch on a poor picture. 😁
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,883
     :) 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    If the yellow flower smells intensely of carnation, it is Rhododendron luteum, Rhododendron ponticum "Luteum", or Azalea luteum.  I've seen it in catalogues and reference books under all those names.  I also read somewhere that the difference between rhododendron and azalea is that the  azalea has five stamens and the rhodo ten, or was it the other way round.  So don't ask me why the botanists and growers can't make up their minds about this one.

It's a plant I love by any name, and for many years I've had my heart set on growing it when I retired to North Wales and at last had a proper garden.  I thought I'd have acid soil, but ended up in Llandudno, on a limestone outcrop!  Our soil pH is about 8.  I bought and planted one a few years ago to see if it would grow; it did, so this year I dug a lot of bog-friendly peat into the border and planted four more.  So far, so good.