Forum home Problem solving

Tree identification

Can anyone help identify this tree I bought at the weekend. The label just said outdoor bonsai. The leafs are flat and do not attach to the branches directly, they are on a small peg.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,468
    A pine of some sort?  If the label said ‘outside bonsai’ then I’d put it outside ... proper bonsai are not happy indoors ... they’re trees not houseplants. 

If it’s indoors purely for the ease of photographing it then I’ll keep quiet 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• A pine of some sort?  If the label said ‘outside bonsai’ then I’d put it outside ... proper bonsai are not happy indoors ... they’re trees not houseplants. 

If it’s indoors purely for the ease of photographing it then I’ll keep quiet 😉 
    Thank you for the quick reply. I was thinking pine or maybe a Douglas Fir. Going to keep researching and will hopefully find something soon.

The tree is inside at the minute but only until I can find a sheltered spot for it outside. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,468
    Don’t keep it inside too long or you’ll have to harden it off before putting it outside ... and you risk the foliage drying out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Don’t keep it inside too long or you’ll have to harden it off before putting it outside ... and you risk the foliage drying out. 
    I have moved it into the garden now. Thanks again for the advice 🙂
  • SueG1SueG1 Posts: 30
    It looks to me like a Japanese Umbrella Pine, Sciadopytis verticillata. Quite hardy so can be grown outside.